What is an Online Radio Station?
An online radio station is simply an internet based radio. It is transmitted to its audience via the internet instead of the regular AM/FM radio stations we have around. It is also known as Web Radio Station.
According to Wikipedia, Internet radio (also web radio, net radio, streaming radio, e-radio, IP radio, online radio) is a digital audio service transmitted via the Internet. Internet radio is generally used to communicate and easily spread messages through the form of talk. It is distributed through a wireless communication network connected to a switch packet network (the internet) via a disclosed source.
Online radio is quite different from Podcasts. While podcasts deal with downloading of audio files from the internet, online radio involves the continuous streaming of audio by interested audiences.
The reason online radio is becoming more popular and prospective especially in Nigeria is because the radio can be accessed from any part of the world. Meaning, Nigerians in diaspora who love to keep up with things happening at home can have easy access to information on the go.
Also, the world has now shifted from offline to online. Every business that wants to thrive will surely have to make use of the internet by owning a business website or being on social media.
What it takes to set up an Online Radio Station
Building an online radio station isn’t something one should be scared of. It’s just like building a website or an app for any other business.
We sometimes get the wrong opinions that building online radio is highly expensive. This isn’t true. It requires less capital to build unlike the offline or terrestrial radio station.
- You can easily do all your transmission right in your bedroom.
- You don’t need to spend money on physical building.
- You don’t need a lot of workers, unlike the terrestrial radio station where you have to pay salaries to quite a number of people.
- You don’t need to erect any mast to provide a transmission network.
- You don’t need to get any license from Nigeria Broadcasting Corporation.
- You don’t need heavy gadgets to run your transmission.
All you need is your commitment and willingness to make it work. You also have to make sure that you are giving your listeners value for their time. Whatever you are transmitting has to be something that will capture the interest of the audience (customers) because without them, no business can thrive.
Also remember that it’s a competitive world out there and only the ones with the best will succeed.
It is also essential to always keep up with the latest. Make sure you are up to date with every information that can set you above your competitors. E.g, what’s the latest equipment that can make you have better transmission, what’s the latest hosting plan that can help you reach more audience and co.
The essential things needed to run a successful Online Radio Station
- You need to make sure you acquire enough knowledge on how an online radio station works and what it takes to successfully set it up.
- You need to get Radio Streaming Hosting. This is like the house that your site lives in order to enable easy access at any time. You automatically get a channel where your listeners can tune into to listen to your programs.
- You need to get your mobile applications. There are Android and IOS apps. Having these applications will enable your listeners to easily download your radio station right on their phones.
- You can also have a radio website . This will enable more audiences to be able to access your radio station by just typing your link on a search web.
- You can also have a blog on your website to pass across more information and to also make money from various advertisements.
When you have a well running online radio station, you can be rest assured that making money from it won’t be a problem. There are many ways to make good cash from online radio station which are:
- Google Adsense : All you need to do is to register for Adsense on your website. This means other businesses can be advertised on your platform by google and you will earn money for that.
- Commercials: Business owners can directly contact you to help them advertise their products on your platform and you will get paid for it.
- Selling of airtime: a group of people or an organization can decide to have a program on your platform in order to reach a target audience. Since it’s an online platform, this program (s) would be recorded and sent to you to air at a particular time of the day. The time of the day determines the money you will charge, because there are times or programs that attract more audience on your platform.
- Sponsored Posts: You can use your website to promote posts that will help get more popularity and customers for a business and you will be paid for it.
- Music promotion: Upcoming artistes can use your platform to promote their music. All you need to do is to keep playing their songs on your radio station while your listeners get to know about them. You will get well paid for this.
- Affiliate marketing: You can easily sell other people’s products on your website and you get a specific percentage on every item you sell.
With all these points, it is obvious that in the coming years, the online radio stations will take over the terrestrial ones as it is gradually doing already. Just like the newspapers, most people read the news right on their gadgets and hardly would you see anyone buying hard copies unlike before. Even the companies knew for a fact that they needed to go digital.
It’s essential to take advantage of the affordability of setting up one at the moment, and enjoy the pioneer benefits.
To learn more about how to go about setting up your online radio station successfully, kindly drop a comment below this article and I will get back to you asap.
Fortune they say favors only the brave !
Writing and Creating amazing media content for the past 2 Decades. Writing is my hobby, I write to express, I write to build amazing intellectual connection to your mind and my way of writing is dynamic, fun and inspirational.